"Why did you choose to come here?"

Sunday 5 August 2018

Every time I am asked this question, I will gravitate towards a templated answer which I will adapt with some slight changes here and there to accommodate to different settings.

It's a perennial question - why are you here?

My answer is standard and maybe strategic and impressive to some. A senior at work in Singapore said to me, she wished she had that courage and the wisdom to make this move when she was my age.

Why am I here?

This question was popped again most recently by a thirteen year old girl from Hunan.

She fired a series of questions at me in a manner that was part old soul and part naivety.

"Jiejie, why did you come to Shanghai? How long do you intend to stay here - indefinitely or a few years? Do you miss your family? Do you think it's important to leave home, to leave your parents at some point? Would you do this again (volunteer)?" 

She probably had no concept of expat living or relocation, yet she quizzed the same questions that were running through my mind the past few weeks.

Maybe she could tell. Maybe my face said it all - a composed countenance, but under still waters were crazy currents waiting to capsize a boat or two, adrift in a strange country that I call my roots.

Between both of us, perhaps she understands the confusion that is brought about by migration more than I do -  she lives in a boarding school away from family, away from love and security... she reached out for my hand more readily when we were walking through the aquarium - she knew what to do.

That night when I was exchanging texts with a friend in Sydney in a world that is completely different from mine, I suddenly came to terms with this - my answer - my standard answer - was a three-quarter of the truth.

It was there all along - I had evaded this reason because it was not cool. It was not cool to admit that in my first weekend here in Shanghai, the feelings i dreaded and loved the most were still there, easily reignited with a few texts.

Because how silly it was to say out loud you left because you would like to escape, shake some demons off, stopped being hit by waves of unrecognisable emotions when you had too much to drink, because you wanted to dot your journal and postcards and posts and pictures with something fresher, new stories, new feelings, a new sort of pain! How shameful it was to say you grew tired of your own unreciprocated love.

How silly it was to say I left because of love or lack thereof even if that formed only a tiny part of the reasons.

Ten months had passed.

In a small room where I once had a conversation with a senior a year ago:

"I know... everyone will have this China or overseas work dream some point or another in their lifetime. I know you are extremely resilient... but you know, it is not for everyone."

"I know, Liz*. But I ask myself, what is the worst thing that can happen? If I like it, I stay on. If I dislike it, I come back. What's the worst thing that could happen?" I said passionately, with that note of urgency, impatience, persistence that my mentors perceive as (a healthy dose of  - my interpretation) defiance.


I knew I had to go before I drove myself crazy thinking about the future and letting the past eat me up.


That’s why.



*Liz: fake name.









1 comments:


  1. INTERNET SCAM ALERT‼️

    The internet today is full of SCAM ADS, mostly in comments of various sites and blogs. A large number of individuals have been victims of scam and lost a lot of money to SCAMMERS. Most of the common scam you can see
    ❌BANK LOAN SCAM. ❌BINARY OPTIONS SCAM.
    ❌LOTTERY SCAM. ❌HACKING SCAM. and lost more......

    ✳️The big Question is “Can someone Recover their money lost to Internet Scam⁉️
    I will say yes, and will tell you how.

    The only way to Recovery your is to hire a Hacker who will help you take back your money from this Scammers and today is your lucky day, you just met the guys perfect for the job.

    WHO ARE WE❔
    We are PYTHONAX, A group of skilled Hackers and have dedicated our time to help individuals get back thier money from INTERNET SCAMMERS. There is a research was carried one to calculate the amount of money lost through Scam, and it was confirmed that more than USD $3billion annually.

    HOW DO WE OPERATE❔
    We first of all study the scammer brought to us by hacking the person device(phone or computer) to get information of How, Where, this person keeps money he/she as defrauded people of ( so many of this scammers don’t actually save the money in banks, they mostly stack the money in a Bitcoin wallet, that way it is safe and untraceable to authorities) and we work on a strategy to get back the money and give it back to whom they have defrauded.

    Contacting us is simple, just give us a message through the email below.
    Email-: PYTHONAX@OUTLOOK.COM

    If you a victim of internet scam or you know someone who is, make contact to us immediately. You are 💯 % safe to contact us, our email is very secure.



    We also provide Legit Hacking Services such as-:
    🔸Phone Hacking/Cloning
    🔸Email Hacking & Password Recovery
    🔸Social Media Hacking & Passowrd Recovery
    🔸Deleted Files Recovery 🔸Mobil Tracking
    🔸Virus detection & Elimination. e.t.c

    Email-: PYTHONAXHACKS@GMAIL.COM




    Pythonax.
    2020 © All Right Reserved.








    ReplyDelete

The Room Traveller All rights reserved Design by Blog Milk : Blogger